When you’re not feeling well you call the doctor. When your pet is sick talk to our doctor.
107.7 The Bronc presents the first and only pet healthcare show in Mercer County. Tune in to Your Pet Matters with Dr. Michael Tokiwa of the Animal Hospital at Kingston and Blawenburg or subscribe to their podcast.
Your other family physician, Dr. T is on-call every Saturday at 10 a.m. to discuss your pets health. From wellness and prevention to diet and exercise, Dr. T. will use his veterinarian experience and knowledge to provide you and your family with the best medical advice, cutting edge medicinal techniques, natural remedies and alternative therapies to keep your dog’s tail wagging and your cat purring.
Our pets are lifelong friends, don’t they deserve a lifelong wellness partner? Listen to Your Pet Matters with Dr. Michael Tokiwa of the Animal Hospital at Kingston and Blawenburg, Saturdays at 10 a.m. on 107.7 The Bronc.
Click here for more information about Dr. Tokiwa and the staff at the Animal Hospital of Kingston and Blawenburg.
Meet The Host and Producer
Dr. T is a veterinarian, business owner, and Medical Director of the Progressive Veterinary Care Family of Animal Hospitals. His real name is Michael Tokiwa, and he calls himself the CanAsian (guess the ancestry). He medically cares for dogs and cats, tweets and writes articles about his thoughts on a variety of subjects, teaches about veterinary medicine, drums on his kit or sometimes on his belly (for his son), he rides his Honda CBR or his mountain bike, and helps people understand the human animal bond. He’s kind-of everywhere, and you can find him at www.barkmeowvets.com, his twitter, his linkedin, and his facebook.
(Producer) Matt McGrorty is a Digital Media: Radio, TV, and Film major at Rider University. If you’re ever on campus, you’ll probably find Matt playing some tunes on his weekly radio show, Matt’s Majestic Music Mambo, or at the RUN100 TV studio filming Appropriate Audiences. Matt has a variety of interests outside of radio and TV. He enjoys singing 80’s pop songs, listening to Of Monsters and Men and The Protomen, and watching The X-Files on Netflix. Matt also has an appreciation for stylish hair, leather jackets, and being honest and true to one’s self. If you’d like to contact Matt, you can reach him at email@example.com, at his portfolio, at his linkedin, or by opening your window and screaming his name repeatedly into the night air. Remember: the louder, the better.
“Your Pet Variety Show!“ – This week Dr. T. discusses a range of topics including the importance of pet insurance, funerary options for pets, and pet dental care.
“A Hong Kong Hello!“ – Dr. T. is joined by Alane Cahalane, the CEO of the Veterinary Specialty Hospital of Hong Kong, to discuss pet obesity in China and her recent surgery on a bear!
“The Seeing Eye, Inc.“ – Dr. T. is joined by Jill Jaycox and Melissa Baumgartner of The Seeing Eye, Inc. to discuss the training of Seeing Eye Dogs! Jill and Melissa even bring a seeing eye dog in training named Howie to the show!
“Doggy Day Camp and Daycare“ – Dr. T. is joined by Louise McKewon of Camp Bow Wow Lawrenceville to discuss doggy day camp, what kind of dogs are normally allowed, and what to look for when looking for a secure day camp or daycare center for your dog.
Combining Acupuncture and Oncology
“ – Join Dr. T and Dr. Kate Vickery of Hope Veterinary Specialists for our last live episode of 2014! We discuss how Dr. Vickery combines Oncology and Acupuncture to help provide a better life for pets suffering from cancer. Allie and Stephanie both talked about how to keep your pets safe during the holiday season. We also were joined by Stephanie’s dogs, CJ and Daisy.
“- Dr. David Bradley, of K Lasers joined Dr. T via Skype. He discussed how we use lasers in veterinary medicine as a therapeutic tool to heal, decrease inflammation and regenerate tissue. He also discussed how lasers are used as a surgical instrument. K Laser is one of the leading edge laser manufacturers that perform excellent research and development. They strive to improve the capabilities of what lasers can do. This philosophy is why Dr. T uses K Lasers in his own practices. Allie talked about great gift ideas for the pampered pet. Stephanie Kowalewski also joined us live in studio to discuss the 5 best things your pet wants from you for the holidays.
- Dr. Shelby Reinstein, a veterinary ophthalmologist from VSEC joined us in studio. She discussed common scenarios that denote a visit to your vet, and when a specialist such as herself can work with your veterinarian to improve the quality of medical eye care for your four legged companions. Allie’s Pet Project revealed wonderful ways you can give this holiday season to local shelters. Stephanie Kowalewski from Heavenly Hounds Dog Training
suggested creating a puppy safe zone area for your dog so that they don’t get into things (especially things they can chew), and how that can help you this holiday season.
Inside the Pet Emergency Room
“- Dr. Garret Pachtinger of VSEC and VetGirl joined Allie and Dr. T in studio today. He talked about what signs you should look out to determine if your pet is in need of emergency care, and what to expect once you arrive at an emergency or 24 hour referral center. Allie’s Pet Project included everything you should include in a pet first aid kit for your home. Stephanie gave us great advice on what personality traits to look for when you go to adopt a dog.
Greetings From Hong Kong
“ – Dr. Alane Calahane, Board Certified Veterinary Surgeon and Managing Partner at Veterinary Specialty Hospital of Hong Kong Skyped from her Hong Kong residence with Dr. T today. She talked about the journey that led her to Hong Kong, and how very similar pet healthcare is between where we are here and there. She also discussed how the Hong Kong people prefer pure bred cats, and brachiocephalic breeds (eg. Pugs, Pekingese, Bull dogs). She represents the future of quality, specialized healthcare in China.
“Pet Acupuncture Part 2“
- Dr. T. is joined by Dr Kendra Pope to discuss Pet Acupuncture and the various benefits of acupuncture for your pets.
“SAVE Animal Rescue
“- Dr. T. is joined by Dylan DiMeglio of SAVE Animal Rescue and their use of social media to spread the word of Animal Rescue and encourage adoption.
- Join Dr. T and Dr. LoScrundato of NorthStars Vets as they discuss alternative therapies for pain management. They discuss what acupuncture is and why it is a good alternative for pain in pets.
“Pet Diabetes” -
Join Dr. T and Dr. Peter Chaptmen from VSEC for a great discussion on pet diabetes and how you can diagnose your dog or cat. As always, Stephanie Kowalewski from Heavenly Hounds Dog Training
talks to us about using key words with your dog and how to train them.
- Join Dr. T and Thomas Monacco, board certified surgeon from North Start Vets as they talk about being a surgeon for pets. Stephanie Kowalewski from Heavenly Hounds Dog Training
talks to us about potentially harmful situations when introducing yourself and your child to a new dog.
- Join Dr. T and Ophthalmologist Kristina Vygantas in a great discussion about the health of your pets’ eyes. Remember we are live Saturdays from 10am-11am. As always, Stephanie Kowalewski from Heavenly Hounds Dog Training
enlightens us with another wonderful insight into pet behavior.
“Summer, Summer, Summertime!”
Dr. Marie Holowaychuk talks with Dr. T about the pets you love. Dr. Holowaychuk is a veterinary specialist in emergency and critical care, an accomplished speaker, consultant, researcher and a fellow Canadian. You could say that veterinary medicine is in her genes. She gave us wonderful pointers on Summer hazards and how to avoid them, and how to prepare financially for unexpected emergency visits. Stephanie Kowalewski of Heavenly Hounds Dog Training
was Live and gave great advice on how to get your dog to come to you on command.
“More Than What the Eye Can See”
- Michael Brown, a boarded specialist in ophthalmology celebrated a few firsts on our show Saturday. He was the first repeat guest, and we had some business students visiting in studio for the first time to view all the shows for ideas and pointers for their own upcoming show. Everyone had a great time in the studio discussing everything and anything about pets. Listen for their show this fall!
Twenty 2nd Show
- “Happy Mother’s Day!” Dr. Tammy Anderson of NorthStar Vets joined Fatima and Dr. T in studio to talk about immune mediate diseases, her passion for fishing and geocaching. And she even was able to tell a great story about her mother! Stephanie Kowalewski of Heavenly Hounds Dog Training discussed the importance of socializing your puppy so that visits to the vets won’t be stressful. Visit